Harvey Weinstein – Photo Credit: CBS.com
Harvey Weinstein has been fired by The Weinstein Company “in light of new information about misconduct … that has emerged in the past few days”
The New York Times reported that Weinstein has over the years reached at least eight legal settlements with women over alleged harassment
Harvey Weinstein has been dropped as an executive producer on Paramount Network’s upcoming Weinstein Co. drama series “Waco” and “Yellowstone,” the cabler confirmed Monday.
TWC is taking steps to remove Weinstein’s name from its other TV series, including Lifetime’s “Project Runway” as of this week’s installment, History drama “Six” and Amazon’s upcoming David O. Russell drama starring Robert De Niro and Julianne Moore. However, industry sources said it’s likely to Weinstein will continue to be paid in some capacity because of pre-existing contractual obligations until he reaches a larger settlement with TWC.
“In light of new information about misconduct by Harvey Weinstein that has emerged in the past few days, the directors of The Weinstein Company — Robert Weinstein, Lance Maerov, Richard Koenigsberg and Tarak Ben Ammar — have determined, and have informed Harvey Weinstein, that his employment with The Weinstein Company is terminated, effective immediately,” the Weinstein Company Board said in a statement.
A spokesperson for the company declined to provide details on Weinstein’s firing.
The New York Times reported Thursday that Harvey Weinstein has over the years reached at least eight legal settlements with women over alleged harassment.
Separately, Deadline reported that Apple has scrapped a planned series of music-themed biopics that Weinstein Co. had in the early development stage with the tech giant’s budding video operation. The series was envisioned as starting with Elvis Presley, with such notable figures as Frank Sinatra and Prince eyed for subsequent seasons. The deal was set up at Apple before the company accelerated its original content strategy with the hiring of Sony Pictures TV alums Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht in June.
The deal between Apple and The Weinstein Company was for the Elvis series, but there was intention for it to grow into an “anthology franchise” covering the likes of Prince and Michael Jackson in subsequent releases. Now that Apple has dropped out, The Weinstein Company is shopping the idea to another network that was an initial bidder.
The Weinstein Company reached a deal with the Elvis Presley estate back in 2016 to create an eight to ten part documentary series. The company had rights to use all Elvis music and to shoot in his Graceland house and other property. Harvey Weinstein himself was slated to act as an executive producer alongside Priscilla Presley, Jerry Schilling, and TWC’s David Glasser.
Apple has been ramping up its original content efforts, focusing on both content that supplements Apple Music – like the Elvis series – as well as other creative products. The company hired Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht, two former Sony Pictures executives, to head a new worldwide video operations division.
Apple hasn’t commented on Deadline’s report and it seems unlikely that it will. Last week, a report from The New York Times detailed decades of sexual harassment on the part of Harvey Weinstein. That report can be found here.