At the just concluded Beauty Africa Exhibition and Conference 2015, Joan Okorodudu – owner of Lagos Ageless Clinic, lectured on Non Invasive Body Shaping and Skin Tightening. This meeting was well attended as it was highly informative for Women and Men.
The full article is posted here, and the slides is available for download at the base of the article. (Anything for our dear readers, yes? 😉 read on)
Every woman needs a perfect skin, and every man too. You spend thousands of Dollars trying to look good, clear skin, tone skin, good sight and all, but you’re forgetting the source. Every woman’s beauty secret is inside the kitchen. Let’s go back there.
The underlying factors against good skin.
- Lack of good sleep
- Poor nutrition
- Pollution – Lagos environmental
- Damage from Sun ultra violet rays
- Smoking and excessive drinking of alcohol
We all know that there are thousands of skincare products that promises everything. However, a few deliver on their promises but most are total waste of money. Now we have to get back to what nature has given us.
They contain hydrating, nourishing and astringent properties and it is very good for skin. It repairs damaged skin.
- Cut fresh cucumber and rub on face and leave overnight. Rinse in the morning with warm water.
- Extract as cucumber juice and mix with lemon juice, allow to dry off and then wash with warm water.
To maintain clear skin, it is important to balance the pH levels of the skin. This is the function of Baking Soda. Issues like Acne, Pimples and Spots are taken care of with the natural supply of Mild Antiseptic and Anti-inflammatory properties. It also is an excellent exfoliating agent to keep skin from dirt, impurities and dead skin cells.
- Mix a teaspoonful of Baking Soda with one teaspoonful of water and mix to a paste, cleanse your face and use the paste to gently exfoliate the skin. Rinse the face and pat dry with a towel. (2 to 3 times a week)
- Mix a teaspoonful each of baking soda and raw honey in to a paste. Massage this into a damp skin for one minute. Wash with lukewarm water. Then splash cold water to close up the pores. (Once a week)
This is known to have many benefits for the skin. Antibacterial properties to kill bacteria that cases Acne, Anti-inflammatory properties to help soothe irritated skin, and Astringent properties that helps heal scars. Plus the ability to moisturize the skin and stimulate new cell growth.
- Extract a gel from Aloe Vera leaf
- Using a cotton ball, apply the gel on your face
- Allow to dry off on its own for approximately 30 minutes, then rinse off with lukewarm water. (Daily or Several times a week)
A well and constantly moisturized skin remains clear. Honey is known to be a great moisturizer, with anti-bacterial properties that ward off infections. With the attributes of glucose, fructose, and minerals such as iron, calcium, phosphate, sodium, chlorine, potassium, magnesium, and also fairly rich in vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, and B6., it has inner benefits such as: Energy Booster, Muscle Fatigue reduction, Blood Sugar regulator, Cough treatment, Wounds and Cough treatment, Minor Burns treatment, Insomnia remedy, Healthy and Glowing skin, Weight reduction, Digestion improvement.
- Apply raw honey directly on the skin, allow to dry naturally and then rinse off with water. It helps the skin to remain soft and supple. (Once Daily)
- 2 portion of milk, 1 portion of honey and 1 portion of gram flour mixed together. Apply on the face as a mask for 20 minutes and then rinse off with warm water. (Once a week)
This is an excellent antiseptic and skin lightening agent that helps minimize scars and other marks. Also it can alleviate allergic, inflammatory and infectious skin disorders that makes skin look dull and lifeless.
- Mix a portion of turmeric with enough quantity of pineapple juice to make a paste, and apply generously to face and neck. Allow to dry completely and rinse with lukewarm water. (2 to 3 times a week for spotted skin)
- A portion each of turmeric powder, gram flour, and water/milk and mix into a paste. Apply evenly on skin and allow to dry off. Wash off with lukewarm water by gently scrubbing on the skin in circular motion. (Once a week to remove scars and lighten skintone)
You’ll love this infographics a friend put together on 6 Surprising Benefits Of Turmeric For Skin.
This is one of the best agents in achieving a clear skin. The citric acid properties removes dead skin cells, Vitamin C properties reduces dark spots by increasing the cell renewal processes. Lemon has bleaching properties which can help improve the overall skin complexion.
- Squeeze and apply fresh lemon juice to entire face and neck, leave for 10 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water. After this, rub cucumber slice to soften and moisturize the skin. (Once a day)
- Mix half portion of lemon and 2 portion of honey into a pasta, rub on face and leave for 15 minutes, then rinse off.
- For skin exfoliation, mix 2 portion of lemon juice and 2 portion of sugar into a paste, apply on face, neck and hands, scrub in circular motion and leave for 10 minutes. Then rinse off with lukewarm water. (Once a week for glowing skin).
Also known as Pawpaw can be used to maintain skin’s texture and clarity. It also has bleaching properties that help reduce the appearance of scars. Plus, the enzyme papain properties has antibacterial and wound healing abilities, it also assists in removal of dead and damaged skin.
- Chop ripe pawpaw into tiny bits
- Mix with one teaspoonful of sandalwood powder and honey each, and grind all into a paste.
- Apply generously to face and neck.
- Leave on applied skin for 30 minutes, then rinse off with cold water and pat skin dry.
- Apply rose water on skin. (Once a week to notice improvement in skin tone).
This can resurrect a dull, dry and lifeless skin. Antioxidants to repair skin cells and promote radiant skin. Powder form can be used for skin exfoliation, removing dirts and impurities that cleansing products cannot do.
- 2 teaspoonful of walnut powder, and 2 tablespoonful of plain yoghurt to make a paste, apply on face and neck. Allow to dry and scrub the mixture on the face and then rinse with lukewarm water (Once a week).
- Soak 3 walnuts and leave overnight. In the morning, add a teaspoonful of rose water to make a paste. Apply on face and leave for 30 minutes, then rinse of with lukewarm water (Once a week).
- Eat 2 or 3 walnuts with a glass of milk everyday.
very rich in antioxidants that prevents free radical activity that causes dull and lifeless skin. It’s antibacterial and antifungal properties help maintain clear skin. Also it penetrates deep into the underlying tissues of the skin, keeping it soft and moisturized.
- Mildly warm up coconut oil in a microwave
- Apply the warm oil to face, neck, hands and legs. Massaging gently into the skin for 10 minutes.
- Rinse of with lukewarm water. (Once daily)
- MINT: The main and necessary ingredient in mint is the menthol, which has a cooling and soothing properties, keeping the skin healthy and glowing. Also it is active in fighting off skin infections and has healing properties.
- A portion each of mint powder and yogurt and fuller’s earth in a bowl.
- Leave to soak for 30 minutes, and then stir into a smooth paste.
- Apply on face and neck
- Leave to dry off naturally, then rinse off with lukewarm water (Once a week)
Shea Butter will provide improvement in all the conditions listed below. As you use this multi-purpose cream you are likely to discover additional uses. The amount of time required for optimum results with various conditions may vary with each condition. Wrinkles, for example, require 4 to 6 weeks of daily use. Itching is relieved immediately.
- Dry skin
02. Skin rash
03. Skin peeling, after tanning
04. Blemishes and wrinkles
05. Itching skin
07. Shaving cream for a smooth silky shave.
08. Small skin wounds
09. Skin cracks
10. Tough or rough skin (on feet.)
11. Cold weather,
12. Frost bites
13. Stretch mark prevention during pregnancy
14. Insect bites
15. Healthy skin
16. Muscle fatigue, aches and tension
17. For before and after strenuous exercise
18. Skin allergies such as poison ivy or poison oak
21. Skin damage from heat (hot grease while cooking, radiation treatment for certain medical problems, etc.)
WHO SHOULD USE SHEA BUTTER:
Everyone! Every household should have a jar of Shea Butter, either among the beauty supplies for soft smooth better looking skin, or in the medicine cabinet for minor skin injuries around the house. SHEA BUTTER IS THE SKIN’S BEST FRIEND!
WHAT SETS SHEA BUTTER APART FROM OTHER NATURAL OILS:
Most seed oils can be divided into two important fractions. The first fraction is the called the saponifiable fraction, which contains most of the moisturizing properties,(moisturizing fraction). The second fraction is called the nonsaponifiable fraction, which contains most of the healing properties, (healing fraction). What sets Shea Butter apart from other seed oils is its exceptionally large healing fraction. The healing fraction, contains important nutrients, vitamins, and other valuable phytonutrients required for healing. Depending on the source, the size of the healing fraction may range from 5% and upward. Some report the healing fraction as high as 17%. The larger the healing fraction the better the chances are for a good quality Shea Butter. In other seed oils, the healing fraction is very small, often in the range of 1% or less. While other seed oils may have a good to excellent moisturizing fraction, these oils contain little or no healing fraction. Because Shea Butter has such a large healing fraction, in addition to moisturizing fraction, regular use of this natural cream can treat many skin problems, including blemishes, wrinkles, itching, sunburns, small skin wounds, eczema, skin allergies, insect bites, frost bite, and other skin conditions. It is because of these unique healing properties that the shea tree got its name, the karite tree, which means the TREE OF LIFE.
1. Great antioxidant source
Cocoa butter is a great source of antioxidants, which help combat free radicals and help save your skin from the inevitable signs of aging and environmental stressors. You can use lotion, cream, or oil form, or even eat raw cocoa butter. Everything depends on your choice and preferences. Just be aware, cocoa butter is high in calories.
2. Makes your lips soft and plump
If you are fond of kisses and you want to smooth chapped or rough lips, you should take care of them, using cocoa butter products to have really perfect pout. Sometimes windy or sunny weather can play a bad trick with our lips, making them dried-up. Use a high quality cocoa butter on a daily basis and your lips will always be super soft and kissable.
3. Restorative quality
Are you still confused how to bring your skin back to life? As we know, our body cannot function well without dopamine, tryptophan, zinc, omegas 6 and 9. The tempo of life is very high that’s why our days are full of stresses, which have a negative impact on our skin. Cocoa butter is the most suitable set of health-giving elements. Avoid junk food, sleep enough and use cocoa butter regularly and you’ll notice an improvement in no time.
4. Soothes sensitive skin
Cocoa butter is the best salvation for people who have sensitive skin. Cocoa butter moisturizers are good at protecting skin from heat, healing such diseases as eczema and other problems. A cocoa butter cream will definitely help you keep your skin soft and supple.
5. Pleasant shaves
Use cocoa butter while shaving and you will make the process smoother. It is possible to mix bar form of cocoa butter with shave lotions that’s absolutely up to your preference. Cocoa butter provides smooth and less irritating shave, leaving your skin incredibly smooth.
6. Say bye-bye to scars
Cocoa butter has very effective healing properties. Its antioxidants battle scars, scratches and stretch marks. Just use it regularly and you will see how it accelerates the process of regeneration. If you have a scar from former acne issues, a cut, or similar discolored areas, don’t panic. Just use cocoa butter regularly and you will notice them looking much lighter or even disappearing.
7. Helpful for your hair
Do you want to make your hair more manageable? Or, maybe you want to strengthen your damaged hair? Or, just add moisture to your dry hair? Cocoa butter can really help you. If you have a healthy hair, you can still use cocoa butter to add some volume. I recommend you to use cocoa butter oil, though there are many products infused with this wonderful butter.
You need to use the remedies of your choice on a regular basis to effect changes in your skin. Plus, follow a strict skin care routine that suits your skin type.